I was searching for recipes where I could utilise the delicious organic extra virgin olive oil we picked up while we were at the Grampians Olive Co a few weeks back.
I stumbled across this recipe online and instantly feel in love, especially since it didn’t call for any added sugar and that the honey was used as sweetener.
You can find a link to the website here.
I also loved how the recipe was fairly simple and that the only real expense is the almond meal (the recipe calls for almond flour).
Here is what you will need to whip up this gorgeous and delicate cake.
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of Grampians Olive Co Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 8-10 fresh figs, slice
- Heat over to 180 degrees
- Use olive oil spray to grease the cake pan and line the tray with baking paper
- Gently whisk lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, olive oil,eggs and salt
- Add your almond meal and baking powder and continue to whisk till all combined
- Pour batter into your cake pan and place figs decoratively in tray
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, the top will go a lovely golden colour
- Once cool remove from cake pan
This would be delicious with a thick cream and a drizzle of honey, the perfect dessert on a cold winters day!